Summer is just around the corner and it makes me reflect on how I used to navigate summers. In college, I so badly WANTED to be carefree; that girl who could go out, enjoy a fun happy hour with friends on a cool patio and not feel like I’d broken any “diet rules.” Instead, I’d always stay back because I was scared to be tempted. Summer does not and should not have to be like that for anyone else! Overcoming the diet cycle and finding peace with food helped me learn to enjoy my summers to the fullest.
Here are some things that help me feel light, carefree and healthy during the summer (while eating intuitively):
- Do the things you want to do.
- Got a summer bucket list? Actually DO the things on it. If you’re scared that’s fine, but face the fear and do them!
- In the moment, ask yourself what do I want right now? so often we’re ignoring the things we want and need because of what other people might think, or because of how it might look. But, really, who cares! You gotta “do you” (my best friend always says that – “do you, girl.” I love that phrase!)
- Ask yourself, Will I feel Deprived??
- If you’re going to feel deprived if you don’t have a slice of pizza when your friends are enjoying one… then you’ve got to have one! Otherwise that feeling of deprivation will just continue to grow and eat away at you until you “cave” and overeat or binge (or just continue to restrict food further).
- Ask yourself, How do I want to Feel??
- Let the answer to that question be your guide. If you want to feel great, then it will be easier to make decisions that will help you feel great! Right? Right!!
- And, if you’re consciously choosing and aware that something may not make you feel great, but want to do it anyway then that’s okay too! At least you become AWARE of your choices instead of doing things out of automatic habits.
Now, I want to hear your tips! Share a tip below that helps you stay balanced with food during the summer!!
P.S. Keep your eye out on this space — next week I’m going to be sharing 3 different videos that will give you ACTIONABLE steps you can take this summer to overcome bingeing, find peace with food, and create crazy connections with people all while maintaining a healthy, fit body! You don’t want to miss this. 🙂