If it’s getting nice out where you are (like it is for me in Minnesota)… what do you notice yourself craving?
I’m starting to crave smoothies, iced coffee, and wine spritzers! Haha 🙂
It’s a straight line at the bottom because the first couple of days are always “easy” to follow new, strict rules because you’ve got some excitement and some momentum.. plus there hasn’t been much “temptation” yet. It’s pretty much smooth sailing.
2. Then, a friend asks you to go out to eat. You eat really “good” at the restaurant, not listening to your cravings and sticking to your diet. That’s when anticipation starts to build, anxiety, tension and maybe some all or nothing thinking. While we’re at this point you might even be thinking in the back of your mind how you can’t wait for your next “cheat” or how you’re going to eat all these treats at a certain point.
So how do we break this cycle?
This cycle (in my opinion ) is so, so, so, so, SO not healthy. It’s also NOT worth it!!
- We break this cycle by actively learning and WORKING against that hill of anticipation. We do this by allowing all foods we love, and learning to listen to our bodies.
- We learn this by understanding what we’re trying to gain when we turn to food. What is it food is giving you that you aren’t getting elsewhere?
- When I used to binge (usually during the weekends) I found that it was because I wanted an excuse to do nothing. I wanted to be lazy. If I overate – I would feel like crap, so then I had an excuse to be lazy. If I was eating, then I didn’t have to be working on other things (“to-do list” items). Once I was able to figure this out, I could start IMPLEMENTING more RELAXATION time (along with learning about my body, my hunger signals, my cravings and so on) so that my relationship with food started to look like a (mostly) straight, even line.
ACTION STEP: Take some time today or this week to really dig deep.
- What are you using food for?
- What do you need?
- And how can you get what you need without using food?
Let me know in the comments below, was this email helpful?
P.S. Make sure to sign up for my free, weekly emails (you can plug your email in the box on the right side of this page) so you can receive your free gift – a printable document on the 5 Steps to Balance with Food! You don’t want to miss that. 🙂
Have a great week & I’m always here if you need!!