Hi there! Glad you’re back to check out tip # 2 to stop eating emotionally.
Now, I just want to give you a reminder that this is not a hard and fast rule. We are all human… it is OKAY to eat when you are not hungry sometimes! It’s no big deal.
With that being said, let’s get into it!
Tip # 2 – Figure Out What Feeling Causes You to Overeat Most!
- Figure out what emotion leads you to overeating. Is it loneliness? Boredom? Stress? Anxiety? Sadness? Guilt? Shame? Exhaustion? Fear?
- Whatever it is, try to nail it down (it’s okay if it’s a combination)!
- Once you do that you can ask yourself, “What could I add into my life in a proactive way to handle/deal with this emotion?”
Here’s an example:
Let’s say you frequently overeat when you are stressed at work. You KNOW the stress is the strongest emotion for you, and you use food to cope. You can then ask yourself what could I do proactively in my life to deal with this stress SO THAT I am not needing to overeat on food to soothe this feeling?
Things that could help you PROACTIVELY in this situation:
- Getting quality sleep on your busiest weeks
- Delegating a few tasks that you don’t NEED to be doing
- Deep breathing during your lunch break
- Yoga classes
- Fresh air – going for a walk some mornings
- Only focussing on the couple things that MUST get done, instead of the overwhelming list of 30 things.
- Organizing your space
- Calling a friend
And lots more!
- Doing things BEFORE your stress (or whatever feeling) level gets so high that you “break” and turn to food thinking there’s nothing else you can do will DECREASE your urge to cope using food.
Does this make sense? It takes some awareness and action, but you can do this!
That’s all I’ve got for you today, thanks for stopping by!!
P.S. Stressed over the holiday season coming up? Worried about all the food & how to handle it in a balanced way? Then make sure to watch and/or listen to my free training on “How to Have Balance with Food During the Holidays” before I take it down in December!!